TLC for Power Tools
Pages in this Story:
- Blow out dust from inside portable power tools by directing compressed air through the motor vents while the tool is running. Wear safety goggles, and don't use more than 50 pounds of pressure. Blast around drill chucks, too.
- Remove rust from metal work surfaces with degreaser or rust penetrant and an abrasive pad. To protect against further rusting, spray with TopCote, available at woodworking stores or from Klingspor's Sanding Catalogue, 800/228-0000, at a price of $9.95 for a 5.5-ounce can, item number BOS 1005. Allow the TopCote to dry to a haze, then wipe it off.
- Clean plastic parts with a damp cloth. Use water because chemical solvents can damage plastic.
- Tablesaw: Clean the moving parts with a stiff wire brush and citrus cleaner. Don't use water, which rusts cast iron. (Note: To get at all the key spots on a cabinet-style saw, you probably will have to remove the tabletop.)
- Saw blades: Spray them with oven cleaner, then buff them with a fine, knotted wire brush mounted in a drill.
- Router: Remove the collet, and clean its inside surface with a round, fine-bristle, brass brush. Clean the outside with steel wool or a nylon pad. Clean the subbase, and lubricate it with a Teflon lubricant or wax.
- Plunge router: Clean the plunge rods with a fine abrasive pad, and lubricate them with graphite or wax.
- Bandsaw: Clean off any sawdust that has packed between the blade and the tires, using a Scotch-Brite pad or a light wire brush. Replace the tires if they're cracked.
- Radial-arm saw: Clean the track and rollers with a rag dipped in a 50/50 mixture of ammonia and water. Then lubricate with WD-40, and wipe most of the oil off again. Also clean the column with a fine abrasive pad, spray it with WD-40, and wipe off.
Free Year + Free Gift! Order NOW and get 1 FREE YEAR of Wood® Magazine! PLUS you'll get our Great Projects for Your Shop guide instantly! That's 2 full years (14 issues) for the 1-year-rate – just $28.00. This is a limited-time offer, so HURRY! (U.S. orders only) (Click here for Canadian orders)
Add your comment
Please confirm your comment by answering the question below and clicking "Submit Comment."