Plywood Edging Bits
Burgess Edge Set
The Burgess Edge Set consists of two mating cutters -- one to machine a curved recess in the edge of the plywood, and another to shape the solid-wood banding that fits into that recess. To use them, cut your plywood panel to finished size, and then rout the recess. Next, rout the bullnose on a blank of the same thickness as your panel, and glue it into the recess. Finally, trim your panel to finished size, removing the excess banding. The banding nests between the outer veneers of the plywood, virtually eliminating any sign of a joint line.
- The banding looks as seamless as iron-on veneer tape, but its 1/4" thickness and larger glue surface area make it more durable than tape.
- If you prefer a routed edge, you can leave the banding, say, 1/8" proud of the veneer, and then rout a 1/8" round-over.
- Banding can't slip up or down on the edge of the plywood during glueup and clamping.
- It's the only product of those we tested that can be used effectively in a handheld router.
- Tolerances are so tight with this system that minor thickness variances in a single sheet of plywood can leave veneer near the edge fragile and prone to chipping.
- We had to shim the bits to get them to match both the plywood thickness and each other. Several test cuts were needed to get the correct thickness and cutting height, like a rail-and-stile router-bit set.
- Because of the captured nature of the banding, we found it difficult to measure for mitered corners when wrapping all four edges of a panel.
- Despite the manufacturer's suggestion that the banding thickness needn't match the plywood thickness, we found it easier to machine the banding when the thicknesses matched exactly.
- High cost.
- Both bits have bearings to guide the workpiece, but we achieved our best results by setting our router-table fence flush with those bearings.
- Also available for use with 1/2" plywood, and a shaper.
Free Year + Free Gift! Order NOW and get 1 FREE YEAR of Wood® Magazine! PLUS you'll get our Great Projects for Your Shop guide instantly! That's 2 full years (14 issues) for the 1-year-rate – just $28.00. This is a limited-time offer, so HURRY! (U.S. orders only) (Click here for Canadian orders)
Add your comment
Please confirm your comment by answering the question below and clicking "Submit Comment."