Dual-duty fence stretches router table's capacity

The problem with most router tables is that the fence won't adjust more than a few inches from the bit. While that's fine for edge work and a few other situations, it doesn't make full use of the table (for example, when fluting a wide workpiece).

To improve the situation, this two-way alternate fence works with both the length and width of your table. Depending on the table size, you may be able to firmly position the fence up to 20" away from the bit. The side arms automatically align the fence with the table, and a pair of bar clamps hold the fence solidly in place.

--Allan Rice, Winnipeg, Man.

jim@jcdelaney.com wrote:

This 'fence' appears to be a complete waste of otherwise good wood. It's too low for about anything but routing dados, and doesn't provide any method for clamping to the table. attempting rabbets, or raised panels - or even edge treatments - could be hazardous with this so-called fence.

9/19/2013 11:44:00 AM Report Abuse
jtwoods1817861 wrote:

This is nice. But, what you need is the fence parallel to the bit. This can be done in many ways and much better than the plan presented here. All you need is a straight piece of something--wood, polyacrylic, other non-deformable materials. Then clamp it down. No offense, but I really don't see much value in this fence arrangement. See the simple concept used by the Router Workshop.

9/19/2013 10:22:44 AM Report Abuse
patrick brodeur wrote:

My fence has quite a range also. Don't know if I have 20" between fence and bit. I used T-tracks and knobs. No moving the fence and using clamps. I have a dust collection system hooked on the back of the fence. To adjust I just loosen one knob and then re-tighten.

4/7/2011 11:11:46 AM Report Abuse
dave275 wrote:

@baxtercl1: you flip the fence over to run the fence along the length of the table rather than the width to go further.

4/7/2011 10:35:25 AM Report Abuse
baxtercl1 wrote:

Maybe it's just me but I am having a hard time seeing how you can get 20" between the fence and bit. Looks to me like 8" is the limit. What am I missing?

4/7/2011 10:12:55 AM Report Abuse
Marlen_at_WOOD wrote:

Please note, we've added a PDF for the two illustrations for a larger view of this project. Marlen @ WOOD

4/6/2011 04:38:54 PM Report Abuse