Roll-around plywood cart

Let the wheels do the work with our simple but effective plywood-toting runabout.

Carrying plywood any distance can quickly turn into a wrestling match, but you'll win hands down when you use this mobile storage rack. And building it won't bust your budget either. All you need is plywood, dimensional lumber, casters, and wood screws.

Swiveling casters allow you to turn the cart in any direction and back it up to a wall for space-saving storage. Full 4x8' sheets fit on the front of the rack. Inside the slats, you can store cut-off pieces.

The construction sequence is as follows: Cut out the two end panels (A), and attach them to the end supports (B). Assemble the base (C, D, E, F,), and attach the end panels to that. Complete the rack by attaching the rails (G).

Roll-around plywood cart 4

If you like this project, please check out the hundreds of shop-proven paper and downloadable woodworking project plans in the WOOD Store.

Grumpy wrote:

The one I built a few years ago has never shown any signs of instability. My only problem was adapting the bottom for casters that would hold all the weight that I put on it. I store sheets and panels and odd scraps from them on the front, and I store whatever scraps that will fit (1x's, 2x's, etc.) on the back or bottom behind the sheet goods.

8/29/2013 12:12:11 PM Report Abuse
Alfetta159 wrote:

By the way, I built this and really like it.

5/12/2013 11:58:40 AM Report Abuse
Alfetta159 wrote:

The two end stiles (D, base supports) that lie flat might be better off cut from 2x6 stock so that they are 1.5┐ by 5.5┐. I found that the lower surfaces of these pieces weren┐t large enough to accommodate the casters┐ mounting plates when I tried to mount casters in the size recommended in the plan.

5/12/2013 11:56:35 AM Report Abuse
Alfetta159 wrote:

The slot for the lowest rail (G) should be 3/4" higher on the vertical. The illustration leaves no room for the base top (F).

5/12/2013 11:56:05 AM Report Abuse
bpbrown3 wrote:

Why does the "Click to Enlarge the Illistration" not work?

3/10/2013 12:25:04 PM Report Abuse
barnharj1 wrote:

I am unable to enlarge the illustration at all, no matter what I try including turning off pop-up blocker. Also it will not print out for me. IE says it cannot find the page. Also, after looking at the plan it has a serious design flaw in that it is unstable. Needs more base to decrease the chance of tippng over, especially could injury someone who is not being overly cautious moving it around. An 11" base with 51" height and the weight of several 4x8' sheets of 3/4" ply is too dangerous.

9/7/2012 07:56:21 AM Report Abuse
MrAlanG wrote:

I built a unit like this several years ago but made it with an A-frame design so plywood panels can be stored on both sides. This keeps it from any danger of tipping. Also, the center area is open rather than closed by the end plywood, so I can place material inside the base, which makes the base even more stable.

1/12/2012 10:21:18 AM Report Abuse
schylerjones wrote:

I am interested in this design and had the concerns of the posters here. However, I think you could easily solve the "tippiness" issue by extending the base a bit, 4" maybe?. I know that adds to the space used but you would probably be able to store additional smaller pieces of lumber on the extended side.

9/5/2011 09:03:28 AM Report Abuse
#mowry wrote:

A base that is deeper will increase stability, but remember moving plywood around (my biggest problem) is the primary goal of it's function

6/17/2011 08:25:57 PM Report Abuse