Jig makes it safe to rout small pieces

My table-mounted router seemed ideal for shaping 3/4" stock into knobs for a box I was building, but the small blanks--only 1 1/2" square--would make the job hazardous to my hands. So I built the jig, shown at right, to hold onto the blanks.

I cut scraps of Baltic birch plywood to the dimensions shown for the jig's base and sliding L-shape guide. To make the jig adjustable, I cut two slots in the guide and attached it to the base with knobs screwed into threaded inserts in the base. A toggle clamp holds the work piece firmly against the base and the guide. I routed the front edge of the base, as shown, to clear the bit; I then set up the appropriate bit and a zero-clearance fence on the router table to machine the knobs.

Bob Lasley, Broken Arrow, Ok.

wrdellis wrote:

I am unable to print the article Bill Ellis

7/9/2012 07:14:05 AM Report Abuse
john880 wrote:

There is an improved idea of an up-dated version of this jig, out there on a router form. The guys there are dtill tosing around futher ideas.

3/15/2011 01:14:03 PM Report Abuse
donspero1 wrote:

The image will not enlarge and the printed image is too small to easily read the text

3/12/2011 06:57:57 PM Report Abuse
woodhaug wrote:

I agree with Peter. I make a router jig for every small project I make. Because I make at least 10-15 of each. Small parts need a load on and an off load or you can have serious kick out and chip out. I learned the hard way. Plus always take small cuts most important on small pieces.

11/4/2010 09:48:11 AM Report Abuse
bubblehead597 wrote:

I think the clamp would hold fine after all "baby pieces, baby cuts" both in height and depth.

9/10/2010 06:36:24 AM Report Abuse
JP0 wrote:

RE:On this jig I think the biggest challenge is to get the upper piece aligned parallel to the router fence. I think placing a spacing block would allow you to align it perfectly with little fuss.

9/9/2010 12:31:29 PM Report Abuse
hansonthomasw wrote:

right click on picture, "save image as", put it on desktop, open with picture browser and print.

9/9/2010 12:14:35 PM Report Abuse
pb7431 wrote:

I like ike it, would like to make but won't print out large enough to see any measurements, prints out 1.5x2 inch.

9/9/2010 11:52:43 AM Report Abuse
woodclaver wrote:

I bet a piece of sandpaper on the top of the base that the to-be knob rests on would help. I put sandpaper on the bottom of my adjusting cams on my Multimaster blade sharpener. It holds them perfectly.

9/9/2010 11:01:41 AM Report Abuse
Pirateswind wrote:

What a great idea! Often when I get my fingers close to a sawblade or router bit, I wonder what life would be like if I mangled a few fingers to uselessness. On this jig I think the biggest challenge is to get the upper piece aligned parallel to the router fence.

9/9/2010 10:34:59 AM Report Abuse
peter.ellis wrote:

The one I made in spring is identical except that I added a T-slot and put adjustable stops either side of the workpiece. Relying just on the clamp for a narrow workpiece may be risky as there is not much in such a short contact area to brace it. Cheers Peter

9/9/2010 09:56:08 AM Report Abuse