Jig makes it safe to rout small pieces

My table-mounted router seemed ideal for shaping 3/4" stock into knobs for a box I was building, but the small blanks--only 1 1/2" square--would make the job hazardous to my hands. So I built the jig, shown at right, to hold onto the blanks.

I cut scraps of Baltic birch plywood to the dimensions shown for the jig's base and sliding L-shape guide. To make the jig adjustable, I cut two slots in the guide and attached it to the base with knobs screwed into threaded inserts in the base. A toggle clamp holds the work piece firmly against the base and the guide. I routed the front edge of the base, as shown, to clear the bit; I then set up the appropriate bit and a zero-clearance fence on the router table to machine the knobs.

Bob Lasley, Broken Arrow, Ok.

wrdellis wrote:

I am unable to print the article Bill Ellis

7/9/2012 07:14:05 AM Report Abuse
john880 wrote:

There is an improved idea of an up-dated version of this jig, out there on a router form. The guys there are dtill tosing around futher ideas.

3/15/2011 01:14:03 PM Report Abuse
donspero1 wrote:

Thanks ... image enlargement now works

3/13/2011 02:45:27 PM Report Abuse
donspero1 wrote:

The image will not enlarge and the printed image is too small to easily read the text

3/12/2011 06:57:57 PM Report Abuse
plusaf wrote:

have trouble downloading or printing? relatively inexpensive solution i use almost every day... software from Ashampoo called Snap4 http://download.cnet.com/Ashampoo-Snap/3000-2192_4-10159926.html lets you take a screen-snapshot of a screen area you can define and then print it "rotate and fit to paper," portrait or landscape, with two or three clicks. and do lots of other things, too... let me know how it works for you... plusaf@plusaf.com

11/6/2010 11:30:07 PM Report Abuse
woodhaug wrote:

I agree with Peter. I make a router jig for every small project I make. Because I make at least 10-15 of each. Small parts need a load on and an off load or you can have serious kick out and chip out. I learned the hard way. Plus always take small cuts most important on small pieces.

11/4/2010 09:48:11 AM Report Abuse
bubblehead597 wrote:

I think the clamp would hold fine after all "baby pieces, baby cuts" both in height and depth.

9/10/2010 06:36:24 AM Report Abuse
JP0 wrote:

RE:On this jig I think the biggest challenge is to get the upper piece aligned parallel to the router fence. I think placing a spacing block would allow you to align it perfectly with little fuss.

9/9/2010 12:31:29 PM Report Abuse
hansonthomasw wrote:

right click on picture, "save image as", put it on desktop, open with picture browser and print.

9/9/2010 12:14:35 PM Report Abuse
pb7431 wrote:

I like ike it, would like to make but won't print out large enough to see any measurements, prints out 1.5x2 inch.

9/9/2010 11:52:43 AM Report Abuse
woodclaver wrote:

I bet a piece of sandpaper on the top of the base that the to-be knob rests on would help. I put sandpaper on the bottom of my adjusting cams on my Multimaster blade sharpener. It holds them perfectly.

9/9/2010 11:01:41 AM Report Abuse
Pirateswind wrote:

What a great idea! Often when I get my fingers close to a sawblade or router bit, I wonder what life would be like if I mangled a few fingers to uselessness. On this jig I think the biggest challenge is to get the upper piece aligned parallel to the router fence.

9/9/2010 10:34:59 AM Report Abuse
peter.ellis wrote:

The one I made in spring is identical except that I added a T-slot and put adjustable stops either side of the workpiece. Relying just on the clamp for a narrow workpiece may be risky as there is not much in such a short contact area to brace it. Cheers Peter

9/9/2010 09:56:08 AM Report Abuse