Digital miter-gauge setup

Set precise angles in no time.

Here's a way to dial in your miter gauge for tricky angles, such as for a seven-sided frame. Cut a piece of 3/4" MDF wider than your miter gauge, as shown. Then center a dado in one face to fit your miter-gauge bar, and add the base, support block, and hold-down.

To set an angle, insert your miter gauge into the jig, stand the jig on end, and zero a digital angle finder (such as a Wixey; Rockler item no. 27487; 800-279-4441; rockler.com) on the face of the miter gauge. Loosen the scale on the miter gauge and tilt the miter-gauge head until the angle finder reads the desired angle. Now tighten the gauge and start making uber-precise miter cuts.

— Bob Wilson, Urbandale, Iowa

8603208676
jlcusimano1 wrote:

Right on Roger S. Finally someone figured out what's wrong with this tip!!

5/29/2014 03:29:06 PM Report Abuse
kmcantor wrote:

For those that have a Kindle Fire, I downloaded a free app called Clinometer, which does exactly what the Digital Angle Finder does and is accurate to 0.1 degree. I have found that, since I first zeroed it three weeks ago, I have not had to re-zero it.

1/16/2014 05:49:42 PM Report Abuse
lh443 wrote:

That's a great idea! I love my Wixey angle finder, now I have another use for it. Gonna go out to the shop and make one today!

10/11/2013 07:06:04 PM Report Abuse
jordanofmp1 wrote:

If money was no object, I'd buy everything you show. The digital miter gauge is over $30. A little steep for a jig.

10/10/2013 03:03:27 PM Report Abuse
bobmcl08 wrote:

Another way is to buy a Digital Angle Rule (In Australia sold by Carba-Tec for A$37), close the blades, zero the angle reading, and then follow the same procedure as the above example. The difference is that this can be carried-out with the mitre gauge still in place on the saw table. There is no need to use a jig for this. Bob McLachlan, Adelaide, Australia.

8/1/2013 09:56:46 PM Report Abuse
Roger Swenson wrote:

You need to zero the Wixey angle finder to the vertical rail on the miter gauge first. Then adjust the miter gauge to 90 degrees before zeroing the angle finder.

12/20/2012 01:53:10 PM Report Abuse