Giddyap Toy Rocking Horse
Form the Body
1. Using spray adhesive adhere the full-size Body Pattern to a 3/4x5x8" piece of maple. Mark the centerpoints for all drilling locations. If you intend to finish your horse with the yarn mane, mark the location for those holes at this time too.
Note: Eliminate the horse's ears if you intend to put a mane on it.
2. Using a bandsaw or scrollsaw, cut the horse body (C) to shape. (Again, we cut just outside the marked line, and later finish-sanded to the line.)
3. Adhere the three full-size patterns for the legs (D, E, and F) to 3/8"-thick maple. You may have to sand or plane thicker stock to this thickness. Now cut the legs to shape. (To save time on the rear legs, we stacked two pieces of maple together using double-faced tape, glued the pattern to the top, and cut both out at the same time.)
4. Place the horse's body in a handscrew clamp as shown in Drawing 3, above right, and drill a 3/8" hole 3/4" deep in the underside for the support dowel. (We first aligned the center point of the hole with the drill bit, tightened the clamp, and clamped the entire setup to the drill press table to keep it from moving. We then bored the hole.) Remove the body from the clamp, change bits, and drill the two 7/32" holes in the body for the toy axle pegs, backing the piece with scrap to prevent chip-out. Change bits again, and drill the 9/32" holes in the leg pieces, backing each piece.
5. Sand the body and leg parts smooth. (We used a 1/2" drum sander on a drill press to sand the cut surfaces.) Then, sand a slight round-over on all sharp edges.
6. To drill the holes for the mane, chuck a 5/16" bit in a drill press. Place the horse body in a handscrew clamp, as shown in Drawing 4, below right, adjust the body to align each hole with the drill bit, and drill each 3/8" deep.
Free Year + Free Gift! Order NOW and get 1 FREE YEAR of Wood® Magazine! PLUS you'll get our Great Projects for Your Shop guide instantly! That's 2 full years (14 issues) for the 1-year-rate – just $28.00. This is a limited-time offer, so HURRY! (U.S. orders only) (Click here for Canadian orders)
Add your comment
Please confirm your comment by answering the question below and clicking "Submit Comment."