Wood Magazine's Solar Kiln

We constructed this nifty 8x8x12' passive-solar kiln. And boy does it work, not to mention save money! Better still, we developed a plan for our kiln so you can build one just like it.

dawnkasotia wrote:

Would this plan also work as a greenhouse?

8/21/2014 11:55:16 AM Report Abuse
frank70131 wrote:

As I read the article I was thinking how great if we could have a solar kiln drying our lumber and having the exhaust air from the kiln to heat our home in the winter. Multi-purpose.

11/21/2013 10:35:16 AM Report Abuse
Burntisland wrote:

The angle for solar panels can be found at US Navy Portal - http://aa.usno.navy.mil/data/docs/AltAz.php

11/21/2013 10:27:32 AM Report Abuse
nealmhr wrote:

I built the one from the sister publication. Better Homes & gardens. Of course one MUST do some changes. Mine is 12' x 16'. I dry ALL the fire wood for the house & metal shop, in just 30 days.

3/16/2013 06:28:21 AM Report Abuse
etyira1 wrote:

@jhmesser661. If you were at the equator, your panels would be parallel to the ground. If you were at the north pole, your panels would be perpendicular to the ground. Since latitude is 0 at the equator and 90 at the NP, it would be the angle between your panel and the ground.

3/14/2013 09:59:19 AM Report Abuse
greghauger1 wrote:

jhmesser661 I install solar panels on instrumentation platforms on a regular basis. The panel is set off the horizontal by your latitude degrees. This ensures maximum exposure of the panel through the year since the angle corresponds to the average position of the sun, which is over the equator.

6/18/2012 12:21:02 PM Report Abuse
jhmesser661 wrote:

My latitude is 30 degrees. If my understanding is correct, the solar panel should be adjusted accordingly. What I can't find is: Is that off the horizontal, or the vertical?

2/15/2012 11:26:48 AM Report Abuse
kressen wrote:

I bought these plans years ago for 10 bucks and i've looked at your comments. I built one years ago and it was the best money I ever spent. I have dried thousands of bf of hardwood and I and building a second kiln. Wood magazine has showed me the way and I thank you.

2/4/2011 11:44:20 AM Report Abuse
krhemmert wrote:

Plans look great. Looks pretty simple and easy to build. Thanks

2/3/2011 07:04:24 PM Report Abuse