Follow us on Pinterest
Welcome, Guest! Log In  |  Join Now
More
Close

Matthew Schulz, A Woodworker's Evolution

Matt Schulz is a relative newcomer to woodworking, but has been exposed to quality craftsmanship his whole life.

Pages in this Story:
Matt carries on his grandfather's skills

Matt carries on his grandfather's skills

Matt Schulz is a relative newcomer to woodworking, but has been exposed to quality craftsmanship his whole life. He explains, "My grandfather, a self taught carpenter and cabinetmaker, built practical pieces made of domestic hardwoods. His home, and that of my parents, is full of fine examples of simple furniture made with enduring details."

While attending Northeastern Illinois University he discovered an underused woodshop adjacent to one of the sculpture studios. A lack of instructor knowledge led to frequent calls home and trial by error familiarization of the equipment. From this exposure he began building basic pieces of craftsmanship.

Matt's work expanded in order to incorporate a personal tone and artistic sensibility. A lumberyard that carried exotic hardwoods from all over the world in exquisite tones of purple, red, orange and black helped to continue this progression. He was able to showcase these unusual colors in furniture, while letting the quality of the material speak for itself. Inspired by Frank Lloyd Wright's Prairie Style, many pieces featured clean lines, added inlay detail and traditional joinery.

Continued on page 2:  A master of numerous woodworking practices

close

Comments (4)
netartsdave13 wrote:

Very nice mix of exotics structure and detailing. For a "beginner", it will be exciting to watch him grow, as his work is already very exciting.

2/8/2010 09:57:23 AM Report Abuse
verylsr wrote:

Phila weather

2/6/2010 06:10:56 PM Report Abuse
cocopuff5 wrote:

better learn it.

2/5/2010 02:48:17 PM Report Abuse
pgonzalezmusica wrote:

Problem I no speak english

2/4/2010 08:00:56 PM Report Abuse

Add your comment

You must be logged in to leave a comment. Register | Log In

Please confirm your comment by answering the question below and clicking "Submit Comment."

Connect With Us
more smart savings
  • Recent Posts
  • Top Posts
See More >