Follow us on Pinterest
Welcome, Guest! Log In  |  Join Now
More
Close

Judy Gale Roberts, Intarsia Queen

The image of Roberts and her work on the cover of the August 1988 issue of WOOD magazine brought Judy's intarsia expertise widespread attention. Since then Judy has created hundreds of designs and her work has inspired thousands of scrollsaw enthusiasts around the world.

Pages in this Story:

Judy Gale Roberts remembers growing up in a creative environment encouraged by her parents, both artists. In the late 1970s she began working alongside her father, Pat Dudley Roberts. He worked in a variety of different medias--from oil paintings to sculpture, mostly creating project specific works for architects or interior designers. One project in particular was for a large atrium in a commercial building. Because the building had used natural wood throughout, Pat Roberts designed large Texas wildflowers made of wood. The pieces varied in size from 2-4 feet in diameter, and were highly dimensional and beautiful.

In 1974, shortly after that particular project, the two began working together. Judy recalls, "I was extremely fortunate to have the opportunity. I helped to create wood murals, metal sculptures, etched glass, mixed media wall hangings, and painted murals. The wood murals were large; averaging 4 by 8 feet, the largest of which spanned 14 feet wide by 20 feet high." In the mid 80s, after moving from Texas to Florida, she found out the pre-existing name for this technique, intarsia.

Continued on page 2:  Design expert and hall of fame artist

close

Comments (5)
murray hunter1 wrote:

I tried this myself and my son was so impressed, he tried it. His largest is a 4 x 8 muralwith mountains,lake and wildlife all through it. Just awesome! Keep up the great work,Judy.

3/16/2010 09:22:22 AM Report Abuse
GG1948 wrote:

I have a few of your books, and I really have enjoyed reading them, and learning. Thanks so much. Pam

3/13/2010 05:39:44 PM Report Abuse
heart_wood2000 wrote:

I've created a few of your intarsia projects my self and it is one of the most satisfing wood crafting I've completed .I also use the skills from intarsia when crafting wood models.Thanks for lending hand.Walt Giles

3/12/2010 04:14:47 AM Report Abuse
nubby968204 wrote:

Magnificent work Judy. Keep it up.

3/11/2010 07:56:58 PM Report Abuse
dboxall wrote:

Beautiful

3/11/2010 03:47:56 PM Report Abuse

Add your comment

You must be logged in to leave a comment. Register | Log In

Please confirm your comment by answering the question below and clicking "Submit Comment."

Connect With Us
  • Recent Posts
  • Top Posts
See More >