All six drawers for the cabinet were assembled over the last week. This was the smoothest drawer assembly process I can remember for any project I’ve done. Every joint together perfectly, every bottom slid in easily and fit snugly, every drawer was square. Then came time to fit the drawers into the carcase.
As you can see, there are five drawers in place. What about the sixth one? Turns out it needed some special attention. Read more
The last photos I posted of the step-back cabinet showed just the carcase. In just this last weekend, I’ve accomplished a lot. The inside of the door and bottom of the upper cabinet have laminate applied, and everything that needs painted, is. Except the false drawer fronts and pulls which haven’t been made yet. And that’s good, because I had just enough paint to cover the carcase.
Anyway, here’s the cabinet painted and in place.
I’ve already stashed my Tormek in its new home. Looks happy, doesn’t it?
Here’s a closeup of the lower carcase showing the cleats that will accept the drawer slides. I went kinda fancy here: that’s cherry plywood!
These started as 24”x8” pieces salvaged from an old project. (That’s why they’re stained.) They’d been laying around for several years, and there was just enough to cut up into cleats. Along with the material I used for the drawers, I’ve been able to consume a fair amount of scrap. (Note to wife: See, I told you it would come in handy!)
Speaking of drawers, here are some of the drawer parts, midday Saturday, waiting for final jointing and planing.
By Sunday evening, all the panels for the drawers were completed, except for cutting them to finished length. (Note to self: Buy more parallel jaw clamps. Then buy a few more.) Hopefully, I’ll peck away at that during weeknights, as well as cutting test joints. Then next Saturday, I should be able to get the drawers assembled, maybe even mounted! Dare I say it out loud? This may be done in a couple of weeks!
After that, I intend to deep-clean the shop (again), placing much of the debris into the new cabinet. Then I’ll get to work on the next item on the list: a TV stand for my new big-screen!
My wife is able to drive again, so I’m slowly relegating my role of Mr. Mom. That means some shop time! Over the last month, I’ve been in and out of the shop numerous times to grab a tool, a roll of tape, or something. The only problem is my bad habit of simply setting things on the nearest horizontal surface when done with it instead of putting it away. So I took a half-hour to refile a month’s accumulation, THEN got started on my cabinet again.
The backs have been installed, and door latches, too. Because my dovetail jig is part of the clutter that is still waiting for a home in the new cabinet, I decided I might as well put it to use and dovetail the drawers. It’s been a while since I’d used it, so I went through the drill of mounting the guide bushing in the router, adjusting the template and stops, and cutting some test joints. All that time made me wonder if it was worth it, but having seen our dovetail showdown, I figured the setup time would pay off.
Next, I refigured the height of the drawers to put a half-pin at the top and bottom. Then I started rough-cutting lumber for the drawers. I came across a stash of enough scrap to make a couple of drawers…so there will be a mix of poplar and oak drawer cases. (And probably one that mixes poplar and oak. Hey, it’s just a shop cabinet.)
After gluing up four panels for the widest drawers (10 15/16″), I’d come to a point where I had nothing much to do, and still plenty of time to do it in. (I wish I could get to that point more often.) So I decided I might as well paint the carcases.
Still to come is milling the rest of the drawer case parts, and then making a pile of sawdust by dovetailing them.