In honor of WOOD Magazine’s 25th Anniversary, we’re posting 25 Interesting Facts about each of the folks who put out your favorite woodworking magazine. Here’s my list:
1. I was a Project Manager for a general contractor before I came to WOOD magazine.
2. I am a engineer before I am an artist…I fight to be the other way around. The engineer in me wants to see a schedule before it will allow me to switch, but the artist in me does not know how to make a schedule…thus an ongoing conflict!
4. My favorite week in my life was the week I married my wife and went to Ireland for our honeymoon.
5. Spending a week of my vacation time to teach at Marc Adams School of Woodworking is a vacation!
6. If I could be a full time shop teacher to students who really wanted to be there and not just students who want to “test” the SawStop mechanism…I would do it!
7. I am curious… Are compact fluorescents and being able to dispose of the hazardous waste they contain actually better for the planet than using standard light bulbs? 6 of one half dozen of another…?
8. I have two awesome stepchildren, a freaky dog, and an amazingly intelligent, beautiful, and patient wife.
9. I would blog more…but I can’t stand listening to me, why would anyone else…
10. I have had my job at WOOD longer than any other job.
11. People who take a week off work and stand around and cry at celebrity funerals…scare me!
12. Aside from a 1976 El Camino, I have never owned a car… trucks only, and if the bed is not 8’ long… is it really a truck?
13. I love to cook.
15. I currently have a USA Cycling Officials License.
17. Learning to hand-cut dovetails was the greatest woodworking lesson I ever received. Layout is everything!
19. I have been to two NASCAR races with my good friend Scott. His favorite driver won once, and my favorite driver won the other…what are the odds?
20. I am a Founding Fan Race Pass owner to the Kansas Speedway …. 23 more years of guaranteed race tickets!
21. I can’t spell or punctuate, therefore I design and build. And they call me an editor.
22. Anything about building or engineering on TV, I will find it and watch it.
23. I am glad I can bike, build, and draw, because if I had to play golf, tennis, or basketball for a living, I would be penniless.
24. Would love a nice glass of Fat Tire Ale to help me think of the last thing to write.
25. The favorite piece of furniture that I have designed and built was a piece I collaborated on with Kevin Boyle and Al Kinsey. We donated it to a charity auction.
6 Responses to “25 Interesting Facts about Design Editor Jeff Mertz”