In honor of WOOD Magazine’s 25th Anniversary, we posted 25 Interesting Facts about each of the folks who put out your favorite woodworking magazine. Here’s my list:
1. I went to college to become a doctor and left with a degree in environmental design. It took almost as long.
2. I own a small boutique winery that we started in 2003.
3. My shop is in the garage and our cars have always been envious.
4. Most of the furniture I build for our home has an Asian or contemporary influence. Wait… I don’t get to build stuff for our home, it all goes somewhere else.
5. I am building all the cabinets, built-ins, and trim for my house. Started four years ago and I am still trying to get it finished.
6. The only power tool I don’t own is a scrollsaw but, ironically, I end up building most of the scrollsaw projects for the magazine.
7. I ran my first half-marathon this year.
8. I began woodworking at the age of 7 by building boats with my grandfather.
9. My first furniture commission was a pencil post bed. It turned out great, but unfortunately I had to remove a second-story window to get it into the client’s house.
10. I do most all the cooking at home and yes, I do the dishes too.
11. After getting my college degree, I started a house-painting business. I painted a few houses and then went back to college.
12. On most weekends from spring through fall you can find me in our vineyard pruning or mowing.
13. I am an avid mountain biker and spend a lot of lunch hours on the trails near the office. Sometimes I get lost on purpose.
14. My first solo woodworking project was a sawhorse. It’s still in my Dad’s shop somewhere.
15. My kindergarten teacher tied me up with a jump rope and put masking tape over my mouth during class one day. I guess she didn’t have access to Ritalin back then.
16. I don’t have a computer at home and don’t mind it at all.
17. My favorite hand tool is my Lie-Nielsen #102 block plane, but a close second is the deadblow mallet.
18. My first car was a ‘55 Ford pickup that I bought from my brother when I was 14. I still own it and hope to get it running again someday.
19. I have always wanted to be a chef.
20. I listen to jazz and blues music.
21. I once got hit in the eye with a spear. (I was the cowboy; my brother was the Indian.) Two weeks later I went to the hospital for a ruptured appendix. The following week I went back for 10 more stitches in my forehead (bathtub accident). The emergency room doctor and I were on a first name basis. No discounts, though.
22. One of my favorite projects to design and make is clocks. They make great gifts.
23. I have ten clocks in my office.
24. Both of my children were born on a Friday the 13th. It’s my lucky day.
25. I milled a couple of logs with an Alaskan chainsaw mill once. It sounded like a really cool thing to do.
3 Responses to “25 Interesting Facts About Senior Design Editor Kevin Boyle”