Progress has been steady on the cabinets, if not as quick as I’d hoped. Lumber was procured and allowed to season in the shop for several days. Now the carcases for the second cabinet are taking shape. Pocket hole joinery makes these quick and easy to assemble. You can see the pocket holes to secure the face frame to the bottom cabinet. Note that the top is just below the bench to the left. That way, when the door of the upper cabinet is open, those two surfaces will be flush.
Here’s the upper cabinet. Notice the quad receptacle in the upper right corner that I’ll have to contend with. Don’t worry, I’m sure I’ve got a plan for it.
And here’s the door for the upper cabinet in the open position. It’ll make a nice work surface because it’s one I’ll HAVE to keep clean in order to shut the door.
The plywood edges on the door and upper cabinet are trimmed w/ hardwood edging. The bottom cabinet will get a face frame to define the six drawer openings.
After assembling the upper cabinet and trimming the door, I realized it might have been smarter to apply the laminate to the inside of the door and the bottom of the cabinet first. That way the door edging would have protected the edges of the laminate…and I wouldn’t have to cut a piece of laminate to fit perfectly inside the cabinet. So, the fallback plan is to rout a 1/16″ chamfer on the laminate on the door…and to cut v-e-r-y carefully as I trim the laminate to fit in the cabinet.
More to come as I make more progress.