Finally, a weekend of real progress. After finding sewer and drain line in white, I got down to plumbing in the duct work. I’m using 6″ ductwork with 4″ wyes on three of the four drops. (The fourth is a 6″ wye.) The toughest part was getting the duct from the DC down to the sill where the main line will run. I puzzled over how to do this with the fewest turns, then realized that simply by turning the DC 90°, I could get the angle I needed:
This is the first wye. I installed another 4x4x4″ wye below it to branch off to the disc/belt sander and to the bandsaw.
Next in line were wyes for the tablesaw and planer. Both got 4″ lines. The hood on the planer would be a pain to try to convert to 6″ from 4″. And because the TS hose runs along the floor and I have to step over it occasionally, it has to be 4″.
At the end of the run is the jointer. I used 6″ flex hose here because it’s out of the way under the outfeed table. And with that tight turn, I wanted the largest duct possible. I tried making the turn with three 45° PVC fittings, but that was a 32″ radius and I don’t have room to move the jointer out that far. Note the screw-on clean-out cap at the end. If there’s ever a clog, I can open this up and get a look down the full length of the duct.
The only fittings that are cemented are the reducers that fit onto the wye’s to accept the 4″ flex hose. That way I can change things up if I find things aren’t working as well as I’d hoped. I noticed that the reducers had a flange inside them, so I filed it away to allow for a freer airflow. Here’s a flange partially filed away:
I’ve run everything but the planer, and it looks like there’s enough CFM to move any waste in the machines to the DC. The planer will be the real test though. It’s near the end of the run.
For everything you’d ever want to know about dust collection, try this site. I read it until my head was spinning, but I learned enough to know that my DC should perform well with the bags it has and a 24′ straight run of duct.